When you’re shopping for your new home, there are so many things to consider: neighborhoods, school districts, size, bedrooms, colors, amenities, HOAs, and on and on! And so, it is easy to get frustrated and overwhelmed. Let’s face it, most buyers view many homes before making their decision. So, being organized and consistent is the key.
A good real estate agent can help you with that and simplify the buying process. He/she will keep everything on track and provide advice on what to look for, market conditions, and pitfalls to avoid. Here are some tips and questions to ask while shopping for a new home.
Questions to ask yourself and share with your real estate agent:
- How many bedrooms & bathrooms will you need?
- Do you want a new home, or do you prefer an older, established one?
- Are there special features you must have? (office, garage, etc.)
- Is the school district a factor for you?
- Do you want to be close to a shopping center?
- Is commuting to work an issue? If so, how far are you willing to drive?
- Will you accept any style of home? What about colors?
- Do you want a fireplace, pool, or air conditioning?
Practical Tips For Looking At Homes:
- Be sure to choose an agent that you are comfortable with and he/she will help you with this.
- Take a notepad and map with you. Save the fact sheets.
- Limit the homes you look at in one session to three, so you can focus on the details.
- Take a picture of the homes that appeal to you so you can remember the features.
- Draw floor plans to help you compare homes.
- Ask questions regarding any problems you may see in a home before you buy.
- Feel free to ask many questions. The more you ask, the more you learn!
- Be sure to pre-qualify for a loan with a lender to make sure you are ready to make an offer when you find a house you love.
Most of all, remember to be patient. Tucson’s market is very competitive right now, so it may take a while to find a home you love. You may even find yourself bidding on a house against other buyers. This is where I can help! I would love to help you find your perfect house! Give me a call any time!